The Grand View Academy
Grandview Heritage Foundation
With the railroad from Spring City operating
through Piney Falls, it was now easier for both
those living in and visiting the Tennessee Valley
to access the plateau's edge.  Families from near
and far continued moving into the area.  
Educated members of the community, some
living in the area for several years and others
recently arrived, wanted a larger and better
school for the village.  A newer building was
constructed that served as both a church and
school, but it was destroyed by fire sometime
after 1880.  When this occurred, Mr. A. A.
Hubbard and Mr. M. L. Abbott, who had both
purchased large tracts of land adjacent to the
Piney Falls village, worked in tandem with Lt.
Charles Jewett Jr., the son of a nationally
renowned temperance lecturer, to successfully
persuade the American Missionary Association
(AMA) to locate one of its "academies" on a
portion of their land. Currently, little is known
about this local lobbying effort.  Certainly, the
new rail service was a plus.  Also, either in
anticipation of doing business with the AMA or
as a direct outcome of negotiations, the Post
Office was moved closer to the prospective
school campus.  When the Post Office reopened
at its new location on March 19, 1883, the
village of Piney Falls was renamed, "Grand
View."  In June 1884, Mr. Hubbard and Mr.
Abbott transferred 154 acres of land to the
AMA, and a few months later the "Grand View
Academy" began class in what was the first log
school house at Piney Falls.  Later that same
year the school was moved into a newly
constructed Congregationalist church and
remained at that location until the AMA
constructed its first school building on the
"campus" acquired from Hubbard and Abbott.    
In keeping with the community's new name, this
first building was three stories in height and
located at the very edge of the plateau.  Built in
1889, it had a large cupalo on its roof that
afforded a "grand view" of the Tennessee Valley
eight hundred feet below.  The new building,
named "Jewett Memorial Hall" in memory of Lt.
Charles Jewett's father, contained a library, a
study hall, a chapel, classrooms and dormitory
rooms.  Also by that time the school's name had
been changed to the "Grand View Normal
Institute" (GNI) to better reflect the school's
purpose in training teachers, Christian workers
and leaders in the educational field.
PINEY FALLS LOG SCHOOL HOUSE
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation
JEWETT MEMORIAL HALL #1
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation