Latest News - 2006
Grandview Heritage Foundation
FOUNDATION ACQUIRES LAND PARCEL ONCE PART OF ORIGINAL
GRANDVIEW NORMAL INSTITUTE CAMPUS -- RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES
TO BE CONVERTED TO HISTORY CENTER
- The Foundation has taken a major
step forward in preserving and displaying the unique history of the Grandview
community.  It has purchased eight acres of the original Grandview Normal Institute
campus -- a parcel that once included the Boy's Workshop, the Principle's Cottage, a
croquet court and privies associated with Jewett Hall #1.  The purchase also includes a
private residence, a detached four-car garage and a large workshop building.  Over the
next three years the Foundation will be converting these structures into a History
Center where the public can view the Foundation's large collection of documents,
photographs and historic items from the community's early history.  Also on display will
be the original 4000 volume library from the GNI school.  The opening of the History
Center is scheduled for Summer
2009.  [August 2006]
ORIGINAL GRANDVIEW POSTAL FRONT DONATED  - Walter V. Pugh has
donated to the Foundation the original postal front used by various Postmasters in
Grandview for nearly a century.  (The Grandview Post Office closed in 1989.)  The
postal front was brought to Grandview from Balta, Tennessee (four miles west of
Grandview)  in 1899.  Measuring approximately 6' x 6' and constructed of oak, it was
used at four Grandview's post office locations.   According to Mr. Pugh, each
Postmaster purchased the postal front from the prior Postmaster for a price of $7.50.  
Mr. Pugh's aunt, Mary Davis, was the last Postmaster at Grandview, serving the
community in that capacity for 35 years.   [August 2006]
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH RECORDS DONATED - Mr. Walter V. Pugh has
donated to the Foundation a collection of early records from the Grandview
Congregational Church.  Mr. Pugh's aunt, Georgia Davis, was Clerk of the church in
1951 when the church was dissolved and its building sold to the Baptist Church.  
Among the records donated is the original document forming the church, dated March
14, 1885, and signed by the forty-eight "founding" church members.   Also donated is a
ledger containing Church business meeting minutes between the years 1902 and 1944,
and lists of church members at given points in time.  There are also many "Letters of
Transfer." These document were submitted by new members joining from other
churches, and are very useful in determining when an individual or family moved into
the area.  Finally, a letter written on Grandview Normal Institute letterhead was
discovered in the donated material.  It is the only known example of the school's
letterhead.   [July 2006]
NUMEROUS RARE PHOTOS DONATED - Mrs. Juanita Burnett has donated to the
Foundation several significant photographs relating to Grandview's history.   One of
the photos (shown below) is a previously unknown scene of the Gum Gap trestle taken
sometime before 1892.  (The trestle was destroyed by fire in 1891.)   
HOYT HALL AND NORRIS HALL CORNERSTONES LOCATED - A resident of
the Grandview Community has notified the Foundation that the cornerstones for two
Grandview Normal Institute dormitory buildings -- Hoyt Hall and Norris Hall -- are
located on his property.  The first Hoyt Hall (Hoyt Hall #1) was constructed in 1903,
but destroyed by fire in 1906.  It was reconstructed in 1907 (Hoyt Hall #2), and again
destroyed by fire in 1972.  Norris Hall was constructed in 1912 and destroyed by fire in
1976.  Each cornerstone indicates the building's name and the year of its construction.  
The Grandview resident is cooperating with the Foundation to ensure that the
cornerstones are preserved.  [February 2006]
FOUNDATION BECOMES A MEMBER OF "ALLIANCE FOR THE
CUMBERLANDS "
-  The Alliance for the Cumberlands (AFC) has approved the
Foundation as a new member to its organization.  The AFC was formed in 2004 and is
a locally-based regional partnership of nearly one hundred public and private
organizations. The goals of the AFC are to conserve and restore the lands and waters
of the Cumberland Plateau, to promote the wise stewardship of the area's unique
natural, cultural and recreational resources, and to educate the public about the need
for conserving the Plateau's wildlands and natural resources.  With its member
organizations, the AFC is working toward the National Park Service designating the
Cumberland Plateau, a region that extends across six states, as a National Heritage
Corridor. [February 2006]
Two other photos in the group donated by Mrs. Burnett are companions to a rare
photo already in the Foundation's collection.   The subject of the Foundation's photo is
Jewett Hall #1 as it burned to the ground in 1895.  This photo was believed to be the
only one of its kind, and presumably the work of Harriet R. Stratton.  (A glass
negative of the photo was once associated with other glass negatives belonging to
Miss Stratton.)  The two photos donated by Mrs. Burnett are different scenes of this
same event.  In fact, the three photographs placed in their proper sequence provide a
photographic record of Jewett Hall #1 being destroyed by fire.  As can be seen below,
the first scene reveals the building burning from its southern end, the second scene is
a view of the structure after the cupola has fallen into the building's center (this is the
photo from the Foundation's collection), and the third scene preserves the moment the
building falls in on itself (notice how the smoke seems to bend away from the
building's windows).   The newly discovered, first photo in this series provides the best
record of how the cupola of Jewett Hall #1 was designed and constructed.  This photo
also reveals a flagpole extending thirty feet above the cupola's roof.  [August 2006]  
RAILROAD TRESTLE AT GUM GAP
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation
THE BURNING OF JEWETT HALL #1 - SCENE 1
THE BURNING OF JEWETT HALL #1 - SCENE 2
THE BURNING OF JEWETT HALL #1 - SCENE 3
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation