Latest News - 2003
Grandview Heritage Foundation
DESCENDANTS OF H. L. HOYT SPONSOR MEMORIAL LIBRARY ACQUISITIONS -
Descendants of H. L. Hoyt, Principal of the Grandview Normal Institute (1898-1904), have agreed
to fund the restoration of two important Memorial Library book sets that are damaged and partially
missing.   A donation made by Betty Ahlstedt, daughter of Alice Hoyt (GNI student) and
granddaughter of H. L. Hoyt and Rose (Forbes) Hoyt (also a teacher at GNI), will be used to
restore a 28-volume set of
Elsie Dinsmore books in memory of her mother.  The first Elsie
Dinsmore book was published just after the Civil War, with subsequent volumes being produced
during the remainder of the 19th Century.  In addition, Susan Marszal, great-granddaughter of
H. L. and Rose Hoyt, granddaughter of Alice and daughter of Betty Ahlstedt, is sponsoring
restoration of the book set,
Peloubet's Select Notes on the International Sunday School Lessons, in
memory of her great-grandparents.  The Peloubet set will include the first 50 volumes published,
spaning the period 1875 through 1925.  To this day, these annual publications are important source
documents for those who study and teach biblical history and the interpretation biblical scripture.  
[November 2003]
DONATION MADE BY BROTHER OF EDISON GOOD - Paul Good, younger brother of Edison
Good (1910 GNI graduate),  has donated several important photographs to the Foundation,
including an excellent studio photo of Edison.  Also donated is a 1910 photograph of the Grandview
house owned by Paul's parents, and the site of Paul's birth.  For those familiar with the area, this is
the home on Possum Trot Road currently owned by Becky Cahlick and previously owned by several
others, including the Vandermolens, the Zimmermans, the Satterlees, the Fugates and the Lansings.
 The father of Paul and Edison Good was Joseph W. Good.  In 1907, Joseph, a lumber man, moved
his family from Michigan to Harriman, Tennessee, and purchased a sawmill on White's Creek in
Roane County.  Paul's three older brothers, Edison, Donald and Warren, attended GNI as boarding
students while the family lived in Harriman and later on White's Creek.  The boys did not enjoy life
away from home (especially the food),  so their father purchased the house in Grandview.  Shortly
thereafter, Joseph Good had a falling out with his business partner and the sawmill was sold.  The
family left Grandview and moved to Colorado.  A number of the tools used by Joseph Good at the
White's Creek sawmill have survived, and Paul is donating these items to our collection, as well.  
[October 2003]
NEW DIRECTOR JOINS FOUNDATION - The Foundation's directors have unanimously
approved the appointment of William A. "Bill" Hinds to its board.  Mr. Hinds, son of William
Alonzo Hinds (1916 GNI graduate) and Margaret Horton (1918 GNI graduate) is a Korean War
veteran and retired educator.  Mr. Hinds taught and coached at Spring City High School, and was
principal, teacher and coach at Soddy Daisy and Sale Creek High Schools.  He and his wife, Jean,
currently live in Spring City, Tennessee.  They both have faithfully maintained the Cummins
Cemetery in Grandview for many years.  We are grateful to have Bill as part of our team.  
[October 2003]
AMATUER LITERARY JOURNALS OF LOUIS M. STARRING - In the late 1800s and the
early 1900s, Louis Marsh Starring, a resident of Grandview, published a series of four "amatuer
literary journals."  These small printed offerings were a means by which independent authors
distributed their own stories and poems nationwide.  While a number of Mr. Starring's stories and
poems have survived in text form, only two of the actual journals with the "Grand View" byline
were known to exist.  B. B. Blevins, one of our directors and the great grandson of Mr. Starring,
located and purchased 18 of these journals Mr. Blevins has donated these items to the
Foundation's permanent collection.  [September 2003]
LEONARD PACK 1910-2003 - It is with great sadness that we report the passing of Leonard
Pack, one of the Foundation's founding directors.  Leonard was one of the few surviving students of
the Grandview Normal Institute and a long-time resident of Spring City, Tennessee.  Born in
Grandview, he was the son of Milton M. and Fannie (Gonce) Pack.  Leonard began his business
career in 1930 when he went to work at the Southern Silk Mill in Spring City for five cents per
hour.  After nearly 50 years, he held the position of Corporate Vice President when Southern
ceased operations in 1980.  Leonard then opened his own garment manufacturing plant -- LEP
Enterprises -- which he continued to operate until his death.  Leonard also served as the Mayor of
Spring City for twelve years, and for many years was the president of the Spring City Cemetery
Association.  Leonard was married 64 years to the late Audrey (Dugger) Pack, Spring City's first
librarian.  In 1995, Leonard funded and supervised the construction of a new Spring City Library
buiding in memory of his wife.  As a founding director of the Grandview Heritage Foundation,
Leonard brought important energy and enthusiasm to the Foundation's early efforts, and made
tangible contributions to the Foundation's collection.  He will be greatly missed by us and many
others.  [September 2003]  
DONATION MADE BY DAUGHTER OF CHARLES RUSSELL FOSTER - Alice Williams of
Walla Walla, Washington, a long-time suporter of the Foundation and the daughter of Charles
Russell Foster (1902 GNI graduate), has again donated several important items to the
Foundation's collection.  Among these items are her father's autograph book from 1889, two fox
furs owned by Carrie Dewey (1901 GNI graduate) and a variety of period tatting and crochet
handwork sewn by the Dewey family.  Alice's previous donations have included several early
photographs of GNI students/graduates, as well as several GNI diplomas and certificates.  Among
this latter group is the Foundation's only copy of a certificate guaranteeing the graduating GNI
student automatic admission to the University of Tennessee. [September 2003]
INVENTORY OF PERIODICALS - This past summer an inventory of periodicals currently
contained the in the GNI Memorial Library was completed.  No less than 67 different magazines
titles, with publications dates ranging from 1880 to1918, were catalogued.  It is the intention of the
Foundation to display the best example of each magazine at the proposed Grandview History
Center.  Shortly, a complete list of these periodicals will be available at this website.  [August 2003]
PRESERVATION OF GRANDVIEW INFORMERS - The 2002 annual letter to donors noted
that the Foundation's collection of
Grandview Informers (GNI Student Body Organization's
newsletter) was in need of preservation.  Also noted was the high cost of placing each 22" x 15"
printed page (some 125) in an archival slip cover. Donors responded and this past summer and this
important collection is now properly preserved.  The contents of the newsletters will be indexed
and cross-referenced with the Foundation's individual GNI student/teacher files. [August 2003]
RESTORATION OF THE GNI MEMORIAL LIBRARY COLLECTION - During the past
several months replacements for several sets of badly damaged books in the GNI Memorial
Library have been acquired.  Some of these include a leatherbound, 16-volume set of the

American Cyclopaedia
published 1872-1876, a like-new, 6-volume set of Bancroft's History of the
United States
published in 1888, and a 10-volume set of Chambers Encyclopedia published 1874
in London.  This latter set was located in New Brunswick, Canada.  The Foundation also acquired
a replacement for one of the library's badly damaged folio books,
 Italy from the Alps to Mt. Etna,
published in 1880 and measuring 14" x 11".  The Foundation was able to acquire this book as the
result of a donation from Mrs. Alice Williams, daughter of Charles Russell Foster (1902 GNI
graduate), of Walla Walla, Washington.  [August 2003]