Latest News - 2004
Grandview Heritage Foundation
HIGBY AND HUNTINGTON FAMILIES – Thanks to the Foundation’s web site, a wealth of new
information regarding the Higby and Huntington families of early Grandview has been discovered.  
Bill Higby of Bend, Oregon, great grandson of Nelson Graham and Jessie (Huntington) Higby, sent
an email expressing his pleasure with the site.  In responding to a follow-up email from the
Foundation, Mr. Higby provided contact information for his father, William K. (also “Bill”) Higby of
Albany, Oregon, who is the family historian.   William K. Higby has since provided the Foundation
with information relating to all members of the Higby and Huntington families, their arrival in
Grandview and their subsequent departure.  He also provided copies of family photos, as well as a
remarkable GNI school photo.  The subject of the photo is of the entire GNI student body standing at
the south end of Jewett Hall #1.  Jewett Hall #1 was built in 1889, and the photo appears to have been
taken shortly thereafter.  (Jewett Hall #1 was destroyed by fire in 1895.)  Mr. Higby’s photo is the
only known surviving photo taken of the school’s entire student body.  Another important photo from
the Higby collection is one of  John Franklin Jewett on the second story porch of the Jewett family
home.  John Jewett, the son of Lt.Charles Jewett, Jr., died as a young man 1887.  The photo was
taken just a few months prior to his death.   All previously known photos of John Jewett were taken at
a distance, so this newly discovered photo is another “one of a kind.”  Establishing contact with the
descendents of the Higby and Huntington families is very important.  Jessie (Huntington) Higby was
a member of GNI’s first graduating class in 1888.  Her husband, Nelson Graham Higby, was likely
the first “trained” dentist to reside in Grandview.  The sister of Jessie, Gertrude Huntington, was the
Primary Department instructor at GNI for nearly ten years.  Nelson Franklin Higby, father of
Graham Nelson Higby, and Hiram Lord Huntington, father of Jessie (Huntington) Higby, are buried
at the Cummins Cemetery in Grandview.  Prior to making contact with William K. Higby, the
Foundation had no information regarding these men.  We now know they moved their  respective
families to Grandview seeking a better life, became neighbors and in-laws, and lived out their
remaining days at the edge of the mountain.  After their deaths, their widows and children jointly
migrated to California circa 1905, leaving behind two solitary graves as the only surviving evidence
that the Higby and Huntington families that once lived in the Grandview community.
[November 2004]
DONATION OF THE ORIGINAL GUM GAP TRESTLE PHOTO - Thanks to Gary McCampbell of
Spring City, Tennessee, the Foundation has added to its collection an important and early photo of
the Grandview community.  The only known photographs of the Gum Gap Trestle are found in the
book, “Old Grandview” (Page 54).  The glass negative of the photo showing the distant view of the
trestle was part of the Harriet Stratton collection, but was destroyed by accident destroyed several
years ago.  The whereabouts of the original print that was used for the “Old Grandview” book was
HENRY C. HILLEARY HOUSE SAVED – During March 2004, the Foundation was contacted by
Gary and Belinda McCampbell regarding the Henry C. Hilleary House.  This small house, which is
the last surviving example of “Victorian” architecture in the Grandview community, was constructed
circa 1900.  The McCampbells notified the Foundation that they were willing to donate the house, if
the house was removed from its current location.  After considerable investigation into the cost of
moving the house and identifying possible new locations, the Foundation's Board of directors voted
PAUL GOOD VISITS GRANDVIEW – Mr. Paul Good of St. Petersburg, Florida, younger brother
of Edison Good (1910 GNI graduate), visited Grandview and attended the Foundation’s 2004 annual
board meeting.   Mr. Good was born in Grandview (at the house currently owned by Becky Cahlick)
on February 25, 1910.  He has previously donated to the Foundation numerous family and Grandview-
related photos.  He has also donated tools used at the White’s Creek sawmill by his father who
owned and operated the mill at the time of Mr. Good’s birth.  At the 2004 board meeting, Mr. Good
shared several stories told to him by his brothers about their times in Grandview and their
experiences attending school there.  [August 2004]
DONATION OF BOOK BELONGING TO DR. CHARLES JEWETT – Dr. Charles Jewett was a
nationally renowned temperance lecturer until his death in 1879.  He was also the father Lt. Charles
Jewett Jr., an early Piney Falls/Grandview settler, and one of the three men responsible for
persuading the American Missionary Association (AMA) to locate a school at Piney Falls.  In
memory of Dr. Jewett, the first building constructed by the AMA on what became the Grandview
Normal Institute campus was named for Dr. Jewett.  Mr. Rocky Sylar of Spring City, Tennessee,
has donated to the Foundation a book with a specific connection to Dr. Jewett.  Titled, “National
Temperance Offering – 1851,” the book is bound in a red leather cover ornately illustrated in gold,
and contains a collection of stories, poems and articles authored by leaders of the temperance
movement.  Included in the book is a short article written by Dr. Jewett, “Inconsistencies of
Professed Friends of Temperance.”  The book is significant because it is the presentation copy from
the publisher to Dr. Jewett himself, and is so inscribed.  Recognizing Dr. Jewett’s importance to
Grandview and the Grandview Normal Institute, the Foundation is pleased to now have this personal
item that once belonged to Dr. Jewett, and is very grateful to Mr. Sylar for this very special
donation. [July 2004]
IDENTIFICATION OF TEXTBOOKS – Among the books in the Grandview Normal Institute
Library are the textbooks that were used during the school’s operation (1884-1919).  These books,
which are estimated to number around 400, have now been culled out of the general library
collection for the purpose of being catalogued as a separate collection.  As part of this activity, a list
of textbooks has also been compiled from GNI school catalogues.  [May 2004]
HARRIET STRATTON REVEALED - Despite numerous photos attributed to Harriet Russell
Stratton in the Foundation's collection,  there was no photo of Miss Straton, herself.  Or so we
thought.  The Foundation recently learned that Miss Stratton was in charge of the Genealogy
ABIJAH ADAM HUBBARD – A. A. Hubbard was an early settler at “Piney Falls,” and owned
land along both sides of Possom Trot Road near the center of today’s Grandview community.  He
died in 1916 and is buried alongside his wife, L. J. Hubbard, at the Stebbins Cemetery.  The
Foundation knew very little about Mr. Hubbard, other than he was a "nurseryman,” and can be
found in a few of the photos from the Foundation’s collection.   In reviewing the 1900 census
records for Rhea County, it was discovered that Mr. Hubbard's first name was “Abijah.”  
Recognizing the uniqueness of that name, a simple Internet search for “Abijah Hubbard” revealed
a posted genealogy for the Hubbard family.  B. B. Blevins, the Foundation's Chairman and CEO,
contacted the person responsible for posting this information and discovered that the contact, Frank
Dana Hubbard, was the great grandson of  A. A. Hubbard.  Even more remarkable, Dana Hubbard
was living outside of Sacramento, California within thirty miles of Mr. Blevins’ residence.  When  
Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Blevins discovered  that each had significant amounts of information the
other was seeking, a meeting time and location were established.  As an outome of this meeting, the
Foundation now knows that A. A. Hubbard moved from Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin to Pleasant Hill,
Tennessee sometime between 1860 and 1870.  He operated a “large nursery” at Pleasant Hill.  
Sometime before 1880, he and his wife divorced and he moved to “Piney Falls.” Either just before
or just after this move he married his third wife (who is buried beside him in the Stebbins
Cemetery).  Mr. Hubbard learned that, contrary to family tradition, A. A. Hubbard did not move to
Maryville, Tennessee and donated land for what became Maryville College.  Mr. Hubbard’s land
did become part of a school campus, but it was the “Grandview Academy,” later to become the
Grandview Normal Institute.  [April 2004]
RESTORATION OF GNI MEMORIAL LIBRARY COLLECTION - A number of badly damaged
books from the Grandview Normal Institute Memorial Library have been replaced in recent weeks.
As is required by the policy governing the restoration of the library collection, these replacement
books are identical examples of those they are replacing.  Some of these recent acquisitions include:
Our Islands and Their People, Volumes 1 & 2, published in 1899; Picturesque America, or The
Land We Live In,Volumes 1 and 2
, by William Cullen Bryant and published in 1872; a complete set
of  
The International Encyclopedia, Volumes 1-15, published in 1887; and Cyclopaedia of
Universal History, Volumes 1-3
, published in 1885.  [March 2004]
Room at the Chattanooga Public Library at the time of her death in
1922.  The Chattanooga Public Library was contacted in hopes that a
copy of Miss Stratton’s obituary might be located in the library's
files.   Not only was the obituary obtained, but Miss Stratton had
also placed on file two photos of herself.  One of the photos, taken of
Miss Stratton sitting on a second story porch at her home in
Chattanooga, was in the Foundation’s files all along, but without
identification.  The second photo is a studio photograph of Miss
Stratton as a young woman.  Miss Stratton’s obituary identifies her
interest in geology, which likely explains two wooden boxes of fossils
and mineral specimens found at her home after it was sold to R.  J.
Hall, and subsequently to Ralph and Ruth Starring.  [May 2004]
to dismantle the house and place it in storage for
reconstruction and public enjoyment at a later date.  
Dismantling activities are expected to begin in October
2004, with each board from the house being labeled for
future re-assembly.  The task of dismantling and storing
the house is to be completed in 2005.  The house was
constructed by Mr. Hilleary adjacent to the Grandview
Normal Institute campus so that Mr. Hilleary's children
could more conveniently attend the school.  [Sept. 2004]
unknown.  Several years ago, Mr. McCampbell
purchased an old trunk from the estate of Oren
Metzger.  Mr. Metzger was on the Publishing
Committee for the production of the "Old Grandview"
book.  During August 2004, Mr. McCampbell allowed
Mr. Metzger's trunk to be inspected for early
Grandview-related items.  Discovered inside the trunk
was the missing original print of the Gum Gap Trestle.
Mr. McCampbell has donated this print to the
Foundation’s permanent collection.  [September 2004]