Latest News - 2005
Grandview Heritage Foundation
FOUNDATION ACQUIRES GRASSY COVE ACADEMY CATALOGUE - The
Foundation has obtained for its collection an 1888 catalogue for the Grassy Cove
Academy that was located in Grassy Cove, Tennessee.  Sponsored by the
Presbyterian Synod of Tennessee, the Academy was chartered by the State of
Tennessee on August 26, 1880 (qualified as meeting the four-mile rule), and operated
until 1906.  The catalogue lists the 77 students that were in attendance at the Academy
during the 1887-1888 school year, as well as the specific textbooks used.  Of some
surprise is the appearance of Harlan Charles Stebbins as a Trustee for the Academy,
and his children as students at the Academy.  Mr. Stebbins lived in Grandview and his
farm formed the southern boundary of the GNI campus.  Depsite this proximity to
GNI, Mr. Stebbins' children attended a school located ten miles from his home.
[June 2005]
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE DETERMINES FOUNDATION'S NONPROFIT
STATUS
- The IRS notified the Foundation that it has made a final determination that
the Foundation is a 501(c)(3) corporation.  The Foundation was required to operate as a
temporary educational nonprofit corporation for a 4-year period before the IRS could
make this final determination.  [June 2005]
1917 GRANDVIEW NORMAL INSTITUTE GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENT
DONATED
- Mrs. Ruth McPhail Chattin of Spring City, Tennessee, has donated to
the  Foundation a graduation announcement for GNI's 1917 Commencement Exercise.  
The announcment was originally mailed by Nora G. Fugate, one of the five graduating
students composing the Class of 1917.   Sadly, Mrs. Chattin passed away just two days
after making her donation.   Mrs. Chattin was 87 years of age at the time of death.  
[May 2005]
DONATED POST CARDS - Two different post cards with Piney Falls as the subject
have been donated to the Foundation.  The post card donated by Johnny Lou Berg of
Spring City, Tennessee, is now the most unusual post card of Piney Falls in the
Foundation's collection.  Although the photo on the card's face is identified as
Piney
Falls, near Spring City, Tenn.
, it is actually Ozone Falls located in Roane County,
Tennessee.  The card was produced circa 1920 by the Auburn Post Card
Manufacturing Co. of Auburn, Indiana.  The second post card was donated to the
Foundation by Robert Bailey, County Historian for Roane County, and is likely the
earliest, "color photo" post card of the falls.  Another example of this card is in the
Foundation's collection and is postmarked 1909.  During 2006, the Foundation will be
posting its entire Piney Falls/Grandview post card collection on this web site.  At this
time, the collection includes 21 different cards published through 1920. [May 2005]
FOUNDATION RECEIVES LARGE DONATION OF GRANDVIEW NORMAL
INSTITUTE ITEMS
- Mr. Terry Crosby of Kingston, Tennessee, has donated several
items associated with the Grandview Normal Institute that once belonged to his
grandmother, Hattie Cash DeVaney.  Mrs. Devaney was a student at the school
during the late 1800s.  Items donated include an 1898 graduation announcement, a
1900 program for an evening of entertainment ("Moonshine Castle"), a 1901
graduating exercises program, a 1904 graduating exercises program, a 1907
graduating exercises program, a 1909 graduation announcment (Margaret Cornelia
Cash), a circa 1914 program for a school play ("Deestrict Skule"), a 1915 graduation
announcement (Essie Willis Waller and Lulu Reba Waller), a 1921 graduation
announcment (Marie Allen Waller) and the program for a "Cash and Pyott"contest
from an unknown year.  Mr. Crosby also donated many
Grandivew Informers.  These
papers span a period of thirty years and substantially improved the quality of the
Foundation's collection.  [April 2005]
FOUNDATION OBTAINS Old Grandview BOOK THAT BELONGED TO ANNA
LARNED HANCOCK -  The Foundation continues to search for copies of the original
book,
Old Grandview, published in 1966.  As a result of this effort the Foundation has
most recently located and obtained a copy of this book from a Miami, Florida
bookstore.  Once arriving in the mail, it was discovered that the book had once
belonged to one of GNI's most distinguished teachers, Anna Larned Hancock.  "Miss
Larned" arrived in Grandview to teach at the Grandview Normal Institute in 1899 and
remained there until 1914.  She became known for her many lengthy remembrances of
working at the school and living at the edge of the Cumberland Plateau.  Born
December 31, 1873, Mrs. Hancock did not meet death until December 7, 1983 -- 24
days shy of her 110th birthday.  Contained in the Foundation's collection are over one
hundred pieces of correspondence written by Mrs. Hancock over her very extensive
life.  Her
Old Grandview book was inscribed, "'Miss Larned' from Attorney Shirley
Dannel July 1966."  Judge Shirley Polk Dannel was a student of Mrs. Hancock at
GNI, a graduate of Vanderbilt University Law School in 1912, a member of the
Tennessee Bar 1914 - 1974 and a judge for Loudon County, Tennessee, 1920 - 1950.   
[March 2005]
PHOTO ALBUM DONATED - A photo album belonging to Barbara Imogene Hinds
Burnett has been donated to the Foundation by Juanita Burnett, a longtime supporter
of the Foundation.  Imogene Hinds (1907-1961) was the daughter of Rev. James Milo
Hinds and Lucinda (Ingle) Hinds.  She began her schooling at the Mt. Sulphur school,
just north of Grandview.  She later attended the Grandview Normal Institute,
graduating in 1924.  Educated as a teacher at Berea College in Kentucky and the
University of Tennessee, she taught at St. Claire and Norma, Tennessee.  Among the
album's photos is a series of images made July 1, 1931, that document the first landing
of an airplane in Grandview.  The photo below is from that series and shows Imogene
Hinds Burnett alongside the visiting airplane.   [September 2005]  
FIRST AIRPLANE IN GRANDVIEW
(c) Grandview Heritage Foundation