Shufelt's Mill was constructed by Jeremiah Shufelt in 1870. The mill operated with a single leather belt to simultaneously grind corn and saw logs.
Louis Marsh Starring purchased Shufelt's Mill in 1896. Although legally blind, Mr. Starring continued operating the mill until the early 1920s.
Constructed by Eastland Leander Stratton in 1876, this cabin was the third location of the Piney Falls post office from 1880-1883. It was from this location Mr. Stratton authored many stories under the pseudonym, "The Antler." His stories, which described life on the Cumberland Plateau, were a regular feature of "Forest and Stream Magazine." After Mr. Stratton's death in 1899, the property was p
The first cabin constructed in what was to become the Piney Falls community.
Piney Falls Presbyterian Church in 1877, later to become the first location where classes were held for the "Grandview Academy," later to become the Grandview Normal institute.
The flow of water in Little Piney Creek prior to the ponding of the area's natural springs and the drilling of water wells.
Bridge crossing Piney River at the base of the plateau between Grand View and Rhea Springs (later to become Spring City). Photo taken by Harriet Russell Stratton circa 1890.
A cut constructed in 1879 for the narrow-gauge railway along the Cumberland plateau's edge. Known as "Abbott's Cut," it was named for Martin Luther Abbott, who owned the land above the cut, and who is the presumed subject in the photo. Today, one passes through the cut when traveling State Highway 68 from Spring City to Grandview. Photo taken in 1881 by Harriet Russell Stratton.
The completed narrow-gauge railroad line through Abbott's Cut. The present-day sign welcoming travelers to the Grandview Community is located at the lower right corner of the photo. Photo taken by Harriett Russell Stratton 1885-1890.
The trestle constructed across Gum Gap for the narrow-gauge railroad. The trestle was 200 feet in height and 1000 feet in length. When destroyed by fire in 1891, rail service between Rhea Springs and Piney Falls/Grand View permanently ended after ten years of operation. Photo taken by Harriet Russell Stratton 1885-1890.
Looking north across the Gum Gap trestle. Phtoto taken by Harriett Russell Stratton 1885-1890.
Looking south across the Gump Gap trestle. Photo taken by Harriett Russell Stratton 1885-1890.
Presbyterian Church building constructed in 1887. Originally located on present-day Burdett Road inside the road's first bend turning west, it was later moved to the Grandview Normal Institute campus where it served as a classroom and school library.
The Mt. Sulphur Missionary Baptist Church was located in the community of Possum Trot, three miles northeast of Grandview. While records document the building being used as both a school and church between the years of 1901 and 1934, personal histories recorded by early Possum Trot residents indicate the building likely served in both capacities well before 1900, with it possibly being one of the
Grandview stores. The store at right was originally opened by Morris Evans in 1883. W.F. Taylor purchased the store in 1886 and operated it for many years before selling to Asa Stinecipher and William H. Smith. In 1908, the building at left was converted and operated as a store by Mr. L. L. Barton. The stores' two owners were of different political parties, one being a Republican, the other a
Two views of the mine below the plateau's edge where Grandview residents and the Grand Normal Institute obtained coal for heating. Photos taken circa 1910.
One of several trees in the Grandview community whose lower limbs were grafted back on to their tree's trunk. These trees were the product of Abijah Adam Hubbard, who, with Martin Luther Abbott, established a fruit tree nursery in the community circa 1880. Most of Mr. Hubbard's grafting activity occurred between 1885 and 1900. None of his works have survived. Photo taken circa 1900.
Grandview Post Office after being relocated from store locations to the Grandview Normal Institute campus. It's location today is where State Highway 68 and Hemlock Road intersect (SW corner).
Entry to the Post Office located on the Grandview Normal Institute campus.
Only known photo of the Grandview Hotel (upper left). Construction began circa 1916, but the building was never completed. The hotel was located at the current entrance to Grandview's Christian Fellowship Church on Doc Loy Road. At the far right is Ruth (Hinds) Starring, last living graduate of the Grandview Normal Institute.